Quote of the Week: "Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things which matter least."
|Reggie Dabbs honoring our teachers for the outstanding work they do!|
November is Parent Involvement Month
One of the many things I am thankful for here at Hilsman is the support that our students and teachers receive from the Hilsman parents. Since November is Parent Involvement Month in Georgia, I thought I would share with you a few ways that you can be involved in your child's education and in the work we do here at Hilsman:
- Sign up for Parent Portal with Infinite Campus and check it weekly. We ask our teachers to update their gradebook every 7-10 days. Ask your child about their work.
- Communicate with teachers and administrators. Communication with school staff helps parents learn how to get involved and stay involved. Parents can request a meeting with their child’s teacher anytime throughout the school year in person or by teleconference.
- Get involved in PTO. Parents often strive to get involved in their child’s education by becoming an active member and decision-maker in school parent organizations.
- Observe classroom instruction. During a classroom visit, parents can observe what their children are learning, become aware of who their friends are, and get a jump start on how to help them with their homework. Observing your child at school will also show them that you care about their academic performance and achievement.
- Attend school events. Attending school events is important across all grade levels. Parents can show their support for their child’s education by attending events such as curriculum nights, award ceremonies, fine arts events, and parent-teacher conferences.
- Volunteer at Hilsman. Volunteering your time as a parent can be as simple as chaperoning a field trip, helping out in the media center, monitoring hallways, or reading a book to your child’s class; the possibilities are endless. School staff will often inform parents about volunteer opportunities throughout the academic year.
Our announcements are now a daily Google Presentation, which can be viewed by clicking here.
Our Panther News video can be viewed here.
The first basketball game of the regular season tips off Thursday afternoon against the Coile Cougars. Girls tip off at 4:30, followed by the boys. Both games are at Hilsman.
America Recycles Day
November 15th is America Recycles Day at Hilsman. We are having a contest among the students to see how many create ways we can recycle trash. Students should bring their contest entries to the media center by 9:00 a.m. Thursday morning.
PTO NewsPTO will soon host it's first fundraiser for the year! We will be having skate night on Tuesday, November 20th at Fun Galaxy (formely known as Skate Around USA). It will be from 5pm to 8pm. The cost will be $5 (which includes skates). There will be a drawing for students who attend to win a free pair of skates.
The next PTO Meeting will be November 27th at 6:00 p.m. in the media center. Following a short meeting, we will have our annual Geography Bee. Come out and get involve with PTO and support our students as we test their geographical knowledge!
View Ms. Clark's IB blog here.