Quote of the Week: "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." Warren Buffett
And so it begins...
In just nine days our students will take the CRCTs. I am so proud of the way our students have worked all year to master the curriculum standards they have been taught. Now it is time for them to show what they know! Hilsman is going to "rock the CRCT" again this year. Many parents often ask what they can do to help their child. Students who are prepared, calm, and rested perform better on tests. Here are some tips from the GADOE to help your child approach the CRCT in a relaxed, positive way:
Here is the CRCT Schedule for Hilsman:
- Encourage your child to employ good study and test-taking skills. These skills include following directions carefully, avoiding careless errors, and reviewing the work.
- Explain the purpose of the test. The CRCT gives students an opportunity to show what they have learned in school. It also gives teachers information that helps them plan instruction.
- Let your child know that you consider the test important and that the child should try his or her best.
- Point out that some items may be more difficult than others and that some material may be new to the child.
- Reassure your child that there will be ample time to take the tests and that it is okay if he or she does not know all of the answers.
- Be sure that your child gets plenty of sleep and has a good, nourishing breakfast and lunch.
- Test taking is hard work for many students and can require a lot of energy. Be sure your child is at school on time. Rushing and worrying about being late could affect performance on the test.
- Remember to ask your child about the testing at the end of each day.
School Improvement SurveyParents, please remember to take the school improvement parent survey located at this link. The survey has been shortened to 25 questions this year and should take just a few minutes to complete. You may complete it now or when you come in for your child's conference. It is very important for us to have your input, as we use this information in our school improvement planning process each year. Our goal is to have 100% of our parents take the survey. Thank you in advance.
HilFest will be held this coming Saturday, April 13th, from 1-4 p.m. on the hilsman athletic field. HilFest is a student-led, community event that was created to bring all members of our school community (parents, students, teachers and business leaders) together as one. The event will include fun activities for Hilsman students and their families and information about adult education, health, and career advancement opportunities. Join us for games, music, food, information, and fellowship.
Test Prep and Skill Building
Looking for a way for your child to get a little extra help in preparation for the CRCT? Click here for a link to Successmaker that our students can use at home. Your student knows their log in information, as we use this program at school. You will need to use this program on a device that runs Java.
Subscribe to Panther Pointers!
Did you know that you can receive the Panther Pointers automatically each week by subscribing to the blog? All you need to do is enter your email in the "Follow by email" field at the top right corner of the blog page. You will receive a confirmation email, and once you have confirmed, you are set! Any time the blog is updated (which is about once per week) you will receive it in an email. Our goal is to have all our families subscribed. This is your one stop information spot for all things related to Hilsman!
Follow us on Twitter!
Hilsman Middle now has a Twitter account. This is one more way you can stay connected to Hilsman, keep up to date on all Hilsman news, and receive links to information related to your child's education. Follow us on twitter @HilsmanPanthers.
PAWSRemember to ask your child to see their Panther card and sign it. Students who bring back a signature can be entered into our weekly drawing!
PTO NewsPTO Fundraising opportunities!
Please mark you calendars for some upcoming events to help raise funds for our PTO.
Barberito's Spirit Night
4pm - 8pm
Hilsman Skate Night @ Fun Galaxy
5pm - 8pm
Soccer - Thursday, April 11th, 4:30 @ BHL
Yearbook - Order yours now!
The Hilsman yearbook is on sale now. Order your student's yearbook for only $23.
Our announcements are now a daily Google Presentation, which can be viewed by clicking here. Please subscribe to our Hilsman Youtube site. By subscribing you will receive an update weekly with links to new videos produced by Hilsman. You can view our weekly news video here.
Upcoming Events - Mark Your Calendars!April 13 HilFest 1-4 p.m.
April 16-25 CRCT
April 22 PTO