Welcome to the 2015-16 school year! I would like to invite you to HilFest, our back to school event this year. HilFest will take place Saturday, August 8, 2015 from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. (rain or shine). At HilFest you will be able to meet your child’s teaching team for the year and receive information about various organizations and programs at Hilsman by visiting information booths. There will be tours of the facilities, and new families can participate in a short orientation at 10:30, 11:00, and 11:30. We have a number of Athens area businesses and organizations that will be providing activities, information, music and food as well, so stop by for a few minutes, or stay the whole morning. The best part is that it is all FREE!
We want your child to be happy at Hilsman; we try to create a safe environment where courtesy and kindness prevail and where there is respect for differences in other people, customs, and cultures. Our staff is dedicated to ensuring that all students receive challenging, personalized instruction in all classes, and teachers collaboratively plan to improve student achievement and to build relationships. For our students to reach the level of success we desire, we need everyone to partner with us! There are many ways for our parents and community members to get involved by becoming active members of the PTO and by volunteering.
Everyone Eats for Free!
This year, every child in CCSD will be able to eat breakfast and lunch for free! There is no paperwork to complete. If your child has a balance on their lunch account, they may use the funds to purchase extra milk or juice, etc. If you prefer to receive a refund, please see Ms. Stookey, our nutrition manager.
Reminders for the New School Year
- Our school hours are from 8:25 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. The building opens for students at 7:45 a.m. We cannot guarantee supervision of students prior to that time, so please do not drop your student off earlier unless they are here for a supervised activity and prior arrangements have been made. Access the daily schedule here.
- Students are tardy if they arrive after 8:25 and must check in at the front office. Parents should refrain from checking out students between 3:15 – 3:45. Not only is this the most hectic time of day in the front office, but students will miss valuable academic time if checked out early on a regular basis.
- Students are expected to wear uniforms Monday through Friday. The principal may allow students to dress out of uniform for special occasions to show their participation in school activities. If coaches permit, athletes may wear team jerseys on game days, as long as the khaki pants are still worn. Hilsman logo shirts (i.e. SET team shirts, Pride of the Panther shirts, band shirts, etc.) and individual team shirts will be permitted on Friday ONLY and must be worn with khaki pants. Access the uniform dress policy here.
- Seventh grade parents, the school nurse needs a copy of the updated immunization record for your child. It can be brought to school and placed in Nurse Hurley’s mailbox once school begins.
- All students will be issued a device to take home this year, just like a textbook. All middle school students will have Chromebooks for use. There is no paperwork to complete and no fees to pay.
August 8th HilFest 10-1 p.m. (Hilsman Back Field)
August 11th First Day of School
August 14th New Parent Coffee 8:00 - 8:30 a.m.
August 27th School Picture Day (Students may be out of uniform)